October 10th to 16th 2023
7 Days 6 Nights. All inclusive private fly on trip.
Bahía de los Ángeles to Cabo with Private Flight to Bahía de los Ángeles.
Pirate Fly in Trip
Driver and Passenger
$8800.00 No Refunds
El Scorpion de Cortez.... This is a 7 day, all inclusive Baja adventure from Bahía de los Angeles to Cabo, flying in two private planes from San Diego CBX to Bahía de los Angeles.
Bahía de los Angeles is a bay on the coast of the Sea of Cortez known for its sport fishing and beautiful natural surroundings. The town isn’t much more than a fishing camp, but because of its position and popularity with tourists, it has grown to be a true favorite. From December to April, the great grey whales come to the bay, and it’s an exciting moment when you see them for the first time. The bay is also home to sea lions, dolphins and lots of sea birds. In addition to the marine life, you can take a trip to visit the church, monk cells and kitchen of the Jesuit Misión San Francisco Borja, built from cantera stone and located just outside town. We have chosen this as our starting point to this epic adventure.
As we depart for Bahía de los Angeles we'll be greeted by a Mariachi band and cold cervasas. Our UTV's have arrived the day before, via Off the GRID Expeditions transportation, and now we can prepare them! Toward the afternoon hours we will all gather together for our drivers meeting, and get a picture of what is ahead over the next 6 days. The trails planned are fast and fun and we'll do some exploring around new, epic uncharted trails. On this adventure you'll definitely want to pack your mask and snorkel.
Bahía de los Angeles to Santa Rosalia - Right out of the gate we have planned day 2 to be our super adventurous day. We have 2 routes planned for this day. Route 1 will be the normal 100% do-able direct trail. Route 2 is the route we plan on taking and will be extremely adventurous, with definitely some trail finding exploring around. Route 2 is still on the Cortez side but if do-able will put us just north of Santa Rosalia. This exploration trailfinding is what these trips are all about. Good friends, beers and yes - finding our way through the Baja wilderness... The route from Bay of Los Angles to Santa Rosalia is beautiful and the trails are smooth, fast and fun. White sand and endless cactus make for an amazing background while driving this magnificent peninsula. Day 2 on trail is always a fun day as we kick off this epic trip, and we'll end in Santa Rosalia.
Santa Rosalia to Scorpion Bay - We cross the Baja Peninsula over to the Pacific Ocean and to the beautiful Scorpion Bay located in San Juanico. We have an early morning start, as today holds adventures once again. The planned route is like nothing you have ever seen before, especially in Baja. Crossing the peninsula through sky scraping canyons, with the lush green vegetation and blooming flowers is definitely not what you expect to see! Tight switchback trails and off camber turns slowly guide us up and over the Sierra San Pedro mountain range toward the Pacific. The shallow ruins of one of the first Baja Missions (Mission Guadalupe) were mostly destroyed by treasure hunters in the earlier years. As we start our descent down off the mountain range, the trail straightens and the speeds will pick up... although this semi-rocky trail need to be driven with caution. Out last leg of the day will be the long, straight rolling hill road that will take us from La Venada to San Juanico Scorpion Bay... We plan to arrive in the day light hours to enjoy the beautiful sights, but this is Baja so be prepared. Once we arrive in Scorpion Bay we will fuel up and then get checked into the hotel to enjoy drinks and food.
Scorpion Bay to Loreto - Departing at 8am after a hearty breakfast at the Scorpion Bay Hotel, the first stage of the day will consist of a scenic drive through the town of La Purisima before heading back out onto the dirt. . Once we leave La Purisima, we'll head east off road in the mountains of Serria San Pedro toward San Jose de Comondu. This amazing mountain is like a scene from Jurassic Park. The green lushness truly comes to life and we wind our way south to the small town, and yet another mission, Misión San José de Comondú. Stopping for only a short while, we must forge ahead toward the city of Loreto located on the beach front of the Cortez.
Loreto to San Carlos - Departing at 8am after a hearty breakfast at the La Mission Hotel, the first stage of the day will consist of a scenic drive up to the Mission San Javier, our first sightseeing of the day. We'll spend about an hour at the mission as we take a tour of the history. Once we leave the mission we'll head South toward Agua Verde making a stop by San Cosme, a private fishing estate that could potentially be your next fishing vacation. A quick high five and back on trail as we have many more miles to accomplish. We'll finally reunite with the Chase Crew on Hwy 1 for food and gas. The trails of San Carlos are coming your way - one of our favorite spots in Baja - the trails are forever talked about. Hard packed on the bottom while soft sand covers the top, the never ending fast paced whoop sections are very easily conquered by keeping your foot on the gas. We'll put in some good miles here before making our way to San Carlos, located right on Magdalena Bay on the Pacific. Villas Mar y Arena is the hotel for the night, and man-o-man do they throw a party for us………. Amazing food and atmosphere and true Baja hospitality.
San Carols to LaPaz - We leave San Carlos teary- eyed but yet still filled with anticipation as to what lies ahead on day 6. The trails from San Carlos to La Paz are by far the fastest and most fun in Baja. High speed is a YES! on these trails. Tons of whoops but none big enough to throw you out of rhythm, allowing you maximize your UTV's full potential, taking on over 200 miles of never ending trails. Although not directly on the beach sand, the hard packed dirt is lightly covered with a soft layer of sand, making for some amazing drifting corners and endless Pacific ocean sights to see. We meet up to get gas from the three Chase Trucks and enjoy lunch safari style again. Depending on time and how the day is going, we have a few different routes into La Paz. We'll cross over the peninsula once again from the Pacific to the Cortez and into La Paz for the night.
LA PAZ TO CABO - Navigating our way back out of this major city and heading south down to our trail on this final day of an amazing trip, we will make a slight detour, and head over to visit the Bahia de Los Metros (Bay of Dreams.) This is when you plan your next life move to Paradise. Then we treat you to 170+ mile drive down the East Cape to Cabo. This is a fast-paced, drifting road, with some truly amazing architectural sights. Before you know it, you will be in Cabo…. rubbing your eyes and asking yourself “What have I just done?” Some 1500 + miles later!
UTV Transportation Explained
UTV Transportation South and North on the Baja peninsula. Customer owned UTV's only (Not Rentals)
Transporting UTV's either to the start of a fly in event or retuning them back up north after a full peninsula trip can be quite confusing so here it is explained.
Transporting the UTV's from Cabo to Tecate on the Mexican side of the boarder takes about 3 days so from our arrival date in Cabo the transporters are loaded with you UTV and leave right away. (ex. arrive in Cabo on Friday, UTV's arrive in Tecate on Monday afternoon) So this gives us 3 days in Cabo to enjoy our selves.
1. California starting trips - On any expedition that starts in Tecate your are responsible for getting you UTV to the USA secure parking lot in Tecate. The secure parking lot is where we meet the morning of any trip starting in California. Your tow truck and trailer is safe here while we conquer the Baja peninsula.
2. Remote fly in trips - Remote fly in trips (Baja Sur Loreto fly in, Pirate Fly in Trips) or any trip starting somewhere down the Baja peninsula. Your are responsible for getting you UTV to Off the GRID Expeditions in Santa Ana CA on the designated date before the trip starts. This allows us to transport the UTV's to the starting location days before you arrive.
3. Once we have completed the expedition your UTV will then be transported from Cabo and back up to Tecate on the Mexican side this is where you have 2 options.
- Option 1 - On the 3rd day in Cabo we fly together via Volaris (commercial airliner) from Cabo to Tijuana (this info is given out pryer to the expedition so flight's can all be booked on the same flight time) and shuttle over to meet the transport truck in Tecate MX. Once unloaded you drive your UTV back over the boarder in Tecate and straight to you tow vehicle just like on any Northern ending trips we do..
- Option 2 - Off the GRID Expeditions can import you UTV back to the USA and bring it back to the headquarters in Santa Ana CA for you to pick up...If this is the only option for you here is what is needed. Import paper work (we'll take care of it we just need a copy of your registration) Notarized declaration giving us permission to transport international
Once you UTV is at our headquarters in CA you have 2 days to pick it up or $150.00 dollars a day storage fee will be added.
Option 2 cost $850.00 per car...
So what's included on this 3 day adventure?
With extensive planning, these tours are designed for you to just show up and enjoy yourself. Leave all the stressful logistics and planning to us!
Whether you’re a Baja race veteran or this is your first time to Baja these professionally guided tours are designed so that we do all the work. You just show up, drive and take the true experience of Baja in. We remove the "what if" factor from your adventure.
· Guided trails from the border every step of the way.
· The entire 3 day course has been pre run and mapped so that you will be able to view the trail on your Lowrance GPS unit.
· Hotel accommodations for all nights.
· Breakfast and dinner, all nights.
· Unsurpassed trail support. With our mechanics on the trail your mechanical problem is a thing of the past.
· A lead UTV will guide the group. The lead UTV will radio back any potential hazards that you may encounter along the way.
· A sweep support UTV, that hold parts and tools for almost any trail breakdowns, will ensure that everyone gets to their destination.
· On the trail Mechanics that will handle any issues that might pop up. These mechanics, or “Baja Ninjas” as we call them, are truly amazing to have along.
· Parts for most manufacturers are carried on trail, as well in 2 fully outfitted Chase trucks and trailers. (We still require you to carry your own specialized parts for you own UTV.)
· The Chase trucks hold a multitude of tools, welders, parts, wheels and tires as well as emergency fuel and medical equipment baring any insentient along the way.
· Media coverage, to capture photos and video footage of our adventure.
What are you responsible for?
You are responsible for just a few things on this amazing journey.
· First and foremost, you are responsible for your actions. A clear and level headed driver and passenger. You will be able to drive at your pace, and to your driving ability. Whether it be a cruising speed or at a faster pace, as long as you are comfortable and in control, you’re doing good.
· Good attitude, this is a must!!! We can assure you along the way we will encounter some type of mechanical issue and we will all have to stop. Our mechanics will be on any issue as fast as possible. With a good attitude, we will all have a good time.
Minimum of 1 spare tire. A second can be carried on the chase truck for you.
Tools to change a tire. (Jack, tire iron, etc)
Minimum of 2 spare belt
Helmets wired to radio via intercom. This is mandatory. At the speeds these UTV's can get going you will have no time to fumble around looking for you hand held radio mic.
GPS and Radio with Intercoms. Mandatory
The GPS used are the Lowrance units. We will provide the trail map and load it onto your device for you.
·VHF radio. Handheld or mounted system.
Preparation. Please have your UTV prepped and ready for this adventure. This includes all spare parts stowed securely away, as well as tools and spare tires. Please make sure all services are completed and your UTV is well maintained.
Lunch and drinks. You are responsible for your lunch and trail snacks along the way. You will also want to bring plenty of bottled water and beverages for consumption while out on trail. Please make sure everything is secured.
Gas. We will be stopping for gas on several occasions, which you will be responsible for purchasing. On some expeditions additional gas will need to be carried. We will notify you via pre event email if you need to carry the additional 5 to 10 gallons of gas.
Cash, small bills. Please make sure you have cash, in small bills. The gas stations do not take credit cards.
Passports and Drivers licenses. You will need you passport to enter back into the USA.
Insurance. You will need insurance for your UTV. We will provide the link to the insurance company after you have signed up. There is a discount rate set up.
** Special Note: Absolutely no illegal drugs or guns are allowed in Baja. Prescription Drugs need to have valid documents with them.
$8800.00- includes 2 participants (Driver and Passenger)
All accommodations for 3 days and 2 nights, including breakfast and dinner.
Logistics/GPS mapping. Trail support w/ mechanics. Chase trucks and trailers. Mechanics and support staff. Media coverage.
* To register for this event please fill out the form above.
Ready to go Off The Grid?